Sunday, July 6, 2008

A Classic Wimbledon Finale: Nadal def. Federer


PHOTO ABOVE COURTESY OF YSPORTS: NADAL REACTS AS HE WINS HIS 1st WIMBLEDON CHAMPIONSHIP


Define Classic?


Classic: A creation of the highest excellence


That's the only word i can think of when i was watching this match. Truly breathtaking. Remarkable. Amazing.


I'm a Roger Federer fan. He lost. I should be sad and upset but not this time. Either player deserved to win this grueling classic match. A match that was delayed by rain and suspended twice. Amazing Forehands, Service, Serve and Volleys and incredible impossible shots that these 2 athletes displayed in the most thrilling 5 set match iv'e ever seen which lasted for 4 hours and 48 minutes (not including the rain delays and suspensions)

Nadal got the first 2 sets in this match, threatening to sweep Roger again in 3 sets. However, Roger storms back with in the 3rd (winning it through tiebreak). Nadal threatened in the 4th set and was up 5-2 in the tie breaker. Roger stormed back again and wins this set highlighted by an incredible backhand slice return which caught Nadal off guard (Note: I thought Nadal had won the title at this point. He had a good serve. However, Federer had an unbelievable return)
The 5th set was crazy, with both of them holding serve until Roger commits an unforced error which created the opening for Nadal. Nadal took advantage and won his 1st Wimbledon championship. It was a very emotional win for Nadal and a heartbreaking loss for Roger.


R Nadal 6 6 6 6 9

def

R Federer 4 4 7 7 7


Roger said it very well: "I tried everything, it went a little late and everything, but look Rafa is a deserving champion, he just played incredible today…. He's the worst opponent on the best court, but it's been a joy again to play here, I know I couldn't win it under the circumstances, but I'll be back next year."


Rafael's response?: "This is my favourite tournament, for me to win on this court is a dream.... I'm playing in the same time as the best player in history, Roger Federer.... He's still number one, he's still the best, he still has five titles here, and I just have one."


In this match. I have seen something extraordinary and special. This was one of the greatest finals in tennis history.The respect these 2 players have for each other is amazing. I should say this sport is lucky to have these 2 players right now. The ambasaddors of tennis. The world # 1 and the world # 2. They're rivals but good friends outside of the tennis court.


Until then... See you on the US Open...

No comments: